Tuesday 16 October 2012

Literature Review "Graham Crackers"


I have just uploaded a review to Google Docs, heres the link: Literature Review, "Graham Crackers" by Renee D'Aoust here's what it's about:

"A Suggestion of literature from Adesola through my feedback to read is:

Renne D’Aoust, Nov 2008, “Graham Crackers”, R Gottlieb, Reading Dance, United States: Pantheon Books, pages 749 – 755.

I would recommend many of you to read this chapter especially if you have worked or are working in a dance company. I could relate to almost everything that was happening and for every character that Renee described there is a person in my working life that is that character... though maybe not all are quite as eccentric."

If you get a chance to read it I would appreciate a bit of help. If I keep citing quotes from the same book or chapter do I need to reference them after every single quote, or is once at the beginning of the piece enough? I looked up in the handbook, but I'm not sure. Any advice much appreciated.

I have enjoyed reading published works from a professional dancer and it has inspired me to possibly review more literature published by authors in dance to gain a view from their perspective. How did they work through injury and what were the ethical implications and their opinions on this? 

Do you think this is a good idea? If not, what are you doing or do you think I could do that would possibly a be better alternative?

I am also concentrating on factual data or ideas that are being or have been bought up by projects involving more scientific explanations. Perhaps it is a good idea to focus on a mix of the two ideas.

Thanks for reading, all comments welcome and much appreciated.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Emily!

    I really enjoyed reading your literature review. Although I think it might have been a little too lengthy in the end, I thought it well structured and it gives a good insight into what you have read and how you have understood the literature. I also like, how you connect it to your enquiry, by stating, how it will be useful and why you have read it! Well done!
    I think your topic is very interesting as I have been knocked out by injury many a time. Luckily I am working in a theatre, where things are taken care of by health insurance, etc., but I can imagine freelance dancers working through larger amounts of pain just in order to be able to eat at the end of the month....
    I think it´s a good idea to mix factual data (let´s say from an organisation focusing on dance medicine...there´s one in Germany...I thought there was one in the UK as well) with qualitiative data found in experience reports form dancers. If I can help you find any links from German sites, that also exist in english, please do let me know...I´d be happy to help you ((O;
    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dance UK has done a lot of work on injuries and dancer. They have helpful information and practical advice and the data you are talking about.
      Adesola

      Delete
    2. Thanks Fione! I'm busy looking at The Healthier Dancer Programme that Adesola mentioned at the moment, but thank you very much for your help. If I get a chance I will let you know about looking at the information from the german project.
      Many thanks x

      Delete
  2. You have to cite every time you quote. When it is from a book like that you should also put the page numbers. that way someone can get the book and read along with you as you bring the different quotes

    For instance (Akinleye 2012, p.35) or (Akinleye, 2012 p. 78-79)

    What did you think of the ethics of expecting to be in some much pain at the end of each day. Have you thought about attitudes to pain as separate from injury experiences?

    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that info on citing every quote, i'll make sure to do it from now on.

      I think that a lot of dance can be seen to be ethically wrong when you actually look behind the scenes at what goes on in a dancers life and what they must put themselves through to achieve such amazing things.
      But I also think that long as the dancer is willing to put themselves through such pain to achieve this that it isn't wrong as that is the dancers choice.
      Part of me thinks that it is wrong that we expect to be in pain at the end of the day, but that is what it takes to become a better dancer. So yes, I suppose it is unethical, but is it if the dancer is willing to go through with it? The only person feeling that pain is the dancer.
      Besides the pain, the outcomes are hugely fulfilling so as it's only ourselves we are hurting I think the enjoyment over rides the pain.

      I understand what you mean about having separate attitudes to pain and injury. I think a lot of dancers actually enjoy the pain that they get from dance as it means they are stretching their body to the limits and becoming better dancers. I think dancers attitudes towards injury are usually that of resentment and frustration because their body could not take what they were trying to make it do or is taking time to recover from a mistake.
      Although I have these views I also feel that often dancers can feel that pain is pain, and so another attitude of a dancer could be, "if I can get through the pain of pushing myself I can also push myself to get through the pain of injury which would otherwise be limiting me" and therefore dancing through injury pain as if it were mentally strengthening them. This is of course wrong but if the dancer refuses to show they are in pain and this is their attitude toward the situation how can anyone know this ethical problem even exists?

      Do you have different views? I would be interested to hear them.
      Emily

      Delete