Saturday 14 April 2012

Literature review 2 A Survey of injuries among Broadway Performers


Literature Review
American Journal of Public Health January 1996, Vol.86, No.1
A Survey of injuries among Broadway Performers http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1380366/?tool=pubmed

Although written in 1996 this article was very interesting as it interpreted quantitative data rather than qualitative data.

The researchers surveyed different actors and dancers on Broadway and put the results into many different categories in order to decipher and understand when and why most injuries occur.
The categories are good examples of what I might use to help sort my data for my inquiry. One idea that hadn’t crossed my mind was a Raked stage as I haven’t had to work on one but it provoked a thought that I could possibly consider an extra category for those who work on ships as surely a rough sea is another risk factor for injury.

The article helped me to realise that actually quantitative data could be useful to my findings. I was starting to steer away from using it in my inquiry as I wasn’t sure that I would be able to get as much information out of the patterns and trends as I would through interviewing and observing candidates.

As a staggering number of Broadway performers had sustained injury, and "62% believed their injuries were preventable" it shows the importance of my inquiry. How do performers work through injury? What can be done to prevent these injuries?

No comments:

Post a Comment