Tuesday 20 September 2011

Initial thoughts on Reader 1


So, I had a read (or 3) of the first reader. ( I had to read it 3 times  because I was so overwhelmed at the information I couldn’t process it!) Now I reckon I understand what we mean by web 2.0 sites. I can’t believe how many web 2.0 sites I hadn’t heard of, so for research reasons and pure curiosity on my behalf, i’m going to sign up to a few and see what the benefits are from them all... I’ll keep you posted.
Anyway the idea behind web 2.0 is that the more popular the site is the better it works. This is because the more people share with each other, the more information and knowledge everybody has.  This is what Alicia Beck was saying on her blog when she spoke about Wikipedia. Because anybody can upload information to the site there is a lot more information available to everyone, and the information can be continuously updated.  Boggled yet?
This is all amazing, anything I want to know I can find in a matter of seconds. But, with everybody being a “prosumer”( valtysson (2010) pg 7 reader 1) now how do I know which information is fact? What can I trust? If anybody can write anything surely this is where web 1.0 becomes a more reliable source? Well this brings us back to the popularity of the site. If somebody posts incorrect information but many people access the site then the information will be changed or questioned by other readers, so yes the more popular the site and the more it is used the better it works and the more reliable it is. What do you think?
Also has anybody noticed how facebook shows what people have “tweeted” I’d have thought this a big no no as surely these are two competing social networking sites but they are both working together. Why do they do that? 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Emily,
    thanks for linking to my ideas, that's a great technique, and one that I will use sometime i'm sure!
    I've re read the Reader 1 and also realised that Tim O'Reilly is talking about how Web 2.0 technologies have also evolved from being 'published to participatory' in his 'Web 2.0 Meme Map.' This agrees to your "prosumer" quote by Valtysson, connecting to Wikipedia.
    In my opinion it also has to do with the evolution of personal 'Smart Phones' and 'Tablets' such as the Iphone, the Blackberry and the Ipad for example. We are generally more connected to the internet than ever before and we are constantly in communication with our personal and public contacts.
    Therefore the evolution of Web 2.0, making us 'prosumers' is made easier by these devices. We can instantly share our ideas and information when we are on the go as well as from the office or home. It's unbelievable really! I just can't believe how quickly this trend grew and how dependent we all are on Web 2.0 Technologies.
    With regards to the Twitter and Facebook sites working together, I haven't noticed as I am not signed up to Twitter, maybe thats why it doesn't show on my FB newsfeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read on one of the resources from the Module 1 Reading last "Twitter is now being integrated with Facebook and other tools so that microblogging is just now entering the Web 2.0 mileu." Unfortunately it doesn't go on to say how they are collaborating.

    Justin Reich,2008
    Reworking the web, Reworking the World:how Web 2.0 is changing our society

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Alicia. I also had a read of Justin Reich Reworking the web from the resources and he does talk about the convergence of web 2.0 sites but he doesn't answer my question of why two of the biggest social networking sites would integrate with each other when surely they are in competition with each other.
    I decided to do my own research and "Googled" "the integration between Facebook and Twitter". Funnily enough Google found me a link to Facebook's Blog which I didn't even know existed. http://blog.facebook.com
    Facebook says that their users wanted Facebook and Twitter to work better together so that people could share their statuses as widely as possible. Web 2.0 is all about the users deciding what content and features are available on the website so Facebook are following this rule.
    Although it looks as though Facebook and Twitter are working together right now, this integration means that users of both sites now only have to visit one of the sites to see what people have updated therefore never having to visit the other . It will also stop users of only one of the sites needing to sign up for both.
    So there still is very much a competition between the two sites. Users can and will eventually choose between the two and in the end I think that the site that integrates with the most applications and networks will be the winner.

    ReplyDelete