Wednesday 28 March 2012

Friedrichstadt-Palast Berlin

Hi everyone, I've just got back from a visit to Berlin. I was supposed to be auditioning for the Friedrichstadt- Palast but found out that I had just got my new job pretty much as soon as I'd booked the flights to go over there. I ummed and ahhed about going to the audition but in the end decided against it. Although it would have been a great experience for me to go and be seen I knew they were looking for people to start in July and so I didn't want to waste their time and also I didn't know if it was really allowed. Maybe the company I'm about to go and work for wouldn't have been very pleased if they'd found out I'd been auditioning elsewhere. I'm not sure, I think it's another one of those "unwritten rules"!
Anyway, I decided seeing as I was there to get tickets to see the show...well... it was the most amazing show I have ever seen!
The theatre was just beautiful! The set, the costumes, the lighting - there had been no expense spared. The auditorium was full and the tickets weren't exactly cheap! It made me wonder how it's thriving so well when there are so many theatres and companies in crisis at the moment.
The choreography in most numbers was stunning and the dancers technique was exquisite. The style of the dancing is a fusion really of Jazz contemporary and ballroom but all the dancers have a strong classical base and it showed. There was not one dancer who let the cast down and it was a big cast. We counted 31 girls in the most stunning kick line before the interval and they were so clean and perfect it was so inspiring. The stage was huge when the curtain went up at the beginning the dancers looked so far away and then the moving stage bought them forwards... just fabulous. There was aerial work which took my breath away. My heart was in my mouth when a couple on the straps did amazing lifts high above the stage and the band was live which was the icing on the cake for the show.
I really urge you visit the website http://www.show-palace.eu/en/ and there's a little promo on there to give you a taster. If you're ever in Berlin you must visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment