Friday 9 March 2012

Task 5a


Without taking into consideration any official rules in my professional community there are many “unwritten rules” that myself and many of my other colleagues would use as a guidance of the way we work.
I think that many of these rules stem from personal ethics that we are brought up with and that many of the core points are to do with being polite and having respect for one another. We spoke about personal and professional ethics at the Campus session and how they are sometimes difficult to separate as many of the personal ethics are used under professional circumstances as well.
There has to be a mutual respect among the Dancers and between them and the Choreographer/ Manager.
For example:
Arriving punctually
Being prepared for what you are about to do
Listening to what you are being told to do and putting it in to practice
Trying your best and working to the best of your ability
Helping out where necessary
Being polite to each other and helping each other out.
There should also be equal opportunities and no discrimination against people for reasons such as race, gender etc...
These are rules that I would call personal as they extend far beyond any professional organisation and into our everday life.
Other ethics that I think apply solely to my practice are:
Following the correct etiquette
Turning up looking neat and tidy e.g nice hair and make up, professional attire (no holes in tights, clean shoes...) Don’t sit down on the floor during rehearsals- practice!
Being treated equally and fairly within the company by the employer.
Treating colleagues fairly and abiding by the other stipulated rules of the company.
I think it will be interesting to see if there are other important ethics that I haven’t perhaps thought about.

2 comments:

  1. OK but are there any official rules? what about what is in contracts? What would happen if someone broke one of the 'polite' rules by mistake? What if they came from a different environment how are they meant to learn the polite rules if they are not explicitly stated anywhere. Is this fair? Does it create an 'in' crowd???
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Adesola I think it is a good idea to look at contracts and see if there are any other official rules. I will be looking into some of my own contracts and so I'll blog my findings.
    I also think that fairness is an important point and that people could accidentally break a "polite" rule if they didn't know or understand the rules within a particular place or company. I wonder if this has happened to anybody I know?
    I think that how you recover from the broken rule is an important step in how and whether you are you are I suppose accepted into the "in" crowd.
    I also think that it is in our human nature to want to give people a second chance and also to be lenient towards those who are still learning the ropes.
    Some good points thanks, these would be quite interesting for me to research into especially as I am joining a new company in April so the results would be very relevant to my own practice.

    ReplyDelete